Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bad Combination

What is it about toddlers and computers that doesn't mesh so well? Our little geek (Isaac) has decided that he knows everything about computers and should therefore be granted the right to "play" on Mommy and Daddy's laptop. We have an older laptop that really doesn't work that we have put a sesame street game on for him to feel like he is "working" when Steve or myself is working on the internet... so smart. We thought...

Now we're not sure what kind of monster we've created. Isaac is quite adept at opening files, surfing the web (disney.com), and he even figured out how to open word and type and insert graphics. Which was all fine and dandy until he got to our computer yesterday. We aren't sure what combination of things happened to cause our computer problems, but the end result was that we lost everything on the computer.

Everything. Pictures, all my digital scrapbook supplies and layouts, various documents, all of our spending and budget info for the last while. We are definitely in mourning. So why wasn't this all backed up? The answer is not really a good one- we have been busy and put it off just one time too many. I was actually in the process of organizing all my supplies and layouts to put them on a DVD so I'd know what I had.

You can cry with us if you want...

4 comments:

Adam and Debbie said...

You're living my worst nightmare. I'm so scared Abby will do the same thing and I"ll lose everything. I just started printing off some of my pictures as backups and was going to upload to Walmart and order CD's of everything, but I haven't done it yet. You've motivated me to move it up on my to-do list.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That is so sad. That is amazing that he knows how to do all that though at his age. Maybe you should password protect it so that he can't just get on and mess with things when you're not looking. Have you taken it somewhere to get looked at? Sometimes it's possible to retrieve the data.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! I AM crying with you. That is one of my biggest fears. I'm so sorry it happened to you guys. Stinks!

Anonymous said...

I like the suggestion of a password protection on your computer. I need to back up my computer also, as Isaac has gotten mine into a state that requires a power cycle to get it back to normal.
Sorry about your lost information. That really is a sad thing.