Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Birthday Fun!

The birthday boy at his party.

My little boy 3 years ago...

The party-ers making their cars.

Five years ago I entered the world of motherhood and Isaac's birthday was a reminder of all that entails: the wonderful and those other moments.
We woke up early to let him open a birthday outfit before rushing to his Kindergarten physical (no shots since he had them before registering for Kindergarten). Kate has entered full "princess" mode and wanted to wear a red velvet and taffeta (?) dress, but I talked her into a pink little tutu that she wore happily. We've had colds that won't quit, including lovely gaggy coughs. On the way to the appointment Kate gagged and threw up all over the carseat and her tutu. So we arrived and were gross!! Isaac had to do a "sample" and ended up spraying me in the process. So lovely!
Isaac passed with flying colors. 32% for height and 4% for weight - perfect Isaac size. The Dr. commented that Isaac could go on a Pediasure IV drip full-time and he still wouldn't gain anything. It is reassuring that my failure to "fatten him up" is not my failure at all.
I had the Dr. check out Andrew, too since he hasn't been eating well and has the cold, too. It turns out that he has an ear infection and he's teething (yes, at 3 months old).
We raced through the rest of the afternoon until his little friends came over for his party. I had so much fun!! What a fun group of kids. They did race themed activities including making their own little wood cars and having our own "derby." How revealing it is to see kids approach an art project. Some slap some color on and call it good, and others plan and execute each step carefully. I can't say enough about how fun I felt it was, and Isaac certainly enjoyed it. We also had his grandparents come for cake and ice cream, which is always a delight!
Even though our day got off to a crazy start, it was really a great day! I can't believe I have a 5 year-old, but he's acted like one for a while now. We love our sweet Isaac boy.

3 comments:

Marja said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Big! How has it been 5 years already? Looks like an awesome party!

Sarah said...

Oh my word, ma'am! The start to your day would have sent me straight to the crazy place. I hate when really big busy days begin with a barf, or explosive poop, flooding toilet, or something awesome like that.

Bless you for still getting it all together and having such a fun celebration. And happy birthday to the very grown up 5 year-old.

Lloyd Family said...

Happy Birthday Sir Isaac! Looks like a fun party! I am so impressed that you could pull off a great party after your lovely morning!

Cathy