Thursday, March 11, 2010

Disneyland

An account of our escapades, or ups and downs on our trip.
Day 1: Drove to Mesquite. The kids did wonderfully!!!
Day 2: Drove the remaining distance to Anaheim. The kids were great! I couldn't believe how little whining or crying there was.

We had dinner at Knotts Berry Farm. The chicken dinner is a family favorite and tradition. The kids loved the chicken and the corn. Kate fell asleep before we even made it back to the motel. Good day.
Day 3: Steve's birthday... I met up with him and the choir groups at the IHOP for breakfast. Then we regrouped and met up at Disneyland for our first day there. We were a little nervous about how the kids would do on the rides and such. We ended up kindof "making" the boy go on some/most of the rides because he didn't even want to try them. It is probably fair to say that "Small World" will never again be a family favorite.
It was fun to watch Miss Muffett play in the fountain and look at the birds. She cried less than her brother.




Day 4: Cooler weather combined with a sick little one made for a quieter day. We did hang out a lot in Toontown and were able to snag a pic with Goofy. The boy is not a huge fan of characters, apparently. The fear of rides was starting to subside and we got in some good rounds of the Buzz lightyear ride and Autopia. Steve and I spent Saturday afternoon/evening at an "Instacare" (and I use that term lightly-subject of another post someday on the faults of the healthcare system). After getting a RX for Miss Muffett we returned to the motel to get the kids in bed and Steve went back over to the park.




Day 5: Steve took his group to the Crystal Cathedral while Steve's sweet folks took Isaac to church and Kate and I stayed around the motel. After church and lunch, we drove to Newport beach. I love the beach! Had it been warmer and less windy we would've stayed longer, but still got some great pictures. I did some experimenting with the panorama setting. Kate loved the seagulls. Isaac played in the sand until a big wave stole his sandal (which, I must admit was the funniest thing ever). Then we drove to the Newport Beach temple where the group did a fireside at the adjacent Stake center.





Day 6: A great day at Disneyland. No sick kids. No crying on rides. Pixar parade. Ice cream. So sad that was our last day, I could've gone for another 3 days if they were like this day. Had great scores on the Buzz ride (see previous post)Tip: Earplugs were probably the best investment and were probably why Isaac did so well today.





Day 7: Drive drive drive. Can't say the kids did as well with this much driving and a snowstorm, but they still were better than I thought they'd be.
I am glad we went. It was fun to be with Steve's folks and they were a good help, especially when Steve had workshops or clinics to attend. Lots of ups and downs, but I would still do it even knowing that Kate would be sick and the weather would be cool.

8 comments:

Suzy Q said...

On my Choir Trip my Senior Year to California we did the Crystal Cathedral too. That is the coolest place. I'm glad the trip started and ended good for you guys. Wait about 5 more years, then go again. It's funner when they're just a "bit" older. I just love Disneyland though, it's the Happiest Place on Earth.

Crystal said...

Cold weather and sick kids.... sounds like our recent trip. What is it with California? Glad the drive went well and you had some fun.

Sarah said...

vacations with kids aren't really vacations, are they? but still fun in their own way.

you looks so skinny and kate has little piggy tails! how cute are you?!

Adam and Debbie said...

Your post got me so excited for our trip to Disneyland next month! Looks like a lot of fun!

Adrienne said...

It's a Small World... my curiosity has been piqued. Do tell! I'm glad though that he got over some of his fears and went on some rides that last day. A few more years should cure him!

The Reynolds said...

I'm glad to hear you would go again. I heard about the flip-flop fiasco. Poor Isaac! Glad you guys got home safely. Love ya!

Janell said...

You should let us know next time. We can meet you there, we don't live too far away.

Suzanne said...

We had a sick one last time we went to Disneyland too. Yes and I am curious about Small World too though I don't want you to ruin it for me, it's still one of my favorites!