Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Word Up!


Okay you slang speakers, I know that is probably not the correct usage for that phrase word-up, but I am not feeling really creative today. The new year and other events have definitely given me food for thought. Suzanne's post, Ringing in the New Year got me thinking about what word I would choose to summarize my goals and hopes for this new year. I thought about a lot of words that carry much personal meaning ( faith, calm, engaging, simplicity, childlike, giving, thoughtful, gratitude, etc).

My word for the year is CHERISH. That word embodies the goal to take each moment for what it is, grand or simple, and hold on to it. With Isaac growing and doing more and more and Kate coming up on lots of firsts that would definitely be appropriate. To me that word also means taking the good with the bad. (Like smiling instead of scolding when Isaac has climbed up on the changing table and applied the whole bottle of lotion, emptied the Clorox wipe bottle, and sprayed so much febreez air freshener that the room permanently smells of it.) I think it also means to do what I can for myself and my family to preserve/maintain the things that bring us peace and happiness e.g. good times together, gospel centeredness, health.

Our ward got "discontinued" and split up on Sunday. I have a whole host of mixed feelings about this. I do feel that it was inspired and have had confirmation of that. The changes brought a release from responsibility and a change in association with many that I admire and love. It is very hard to wrap my brain around the whole concept because it was fairly unexpected and far reaching in it's impact on my life. I feel very much like I did on my mission at transfer time (wouldn't you agree Beth, Jill, and Maele?). At the meeting the stake president invited us to adopt Joseph B. Worthlin's counsel of "Come what may, and love it." This fits very well with my chosen word.
Oh, yeah... the graphic at the top comes from Summer Driggs' "Year to Shine" scrapbook blog. She has way cute stuff and good thoughts on many things so heres the link.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Yes, I agree on your feelings of change. Transfers were always an unknown and yet expected thing. You always wonder if it will be your turn . . . you heart is never ready to leave where you are . . . and yet also never far from new goodness to come! What mixed emotions for you. I am excited to see where your new ward puts you - you will be superb!!!

Anonymous said...

Cherish is a good word. I try to think the same thing when Makua does something that annoys me. They're only small once.

Suzanne said...

Great word, glad you see you join the Word of the Year club. Your ward changes reminds me of the phrase when door closes a window opens. What next? Whatever it is, you'll be GREAT at it.

Sarah said...

i love your word. i hope you're feeling better about things. i'm slowly getting there. um, lets have the kids play as soon as mine don't have runny noses!