
I really should do three separate posts, but they are all kindof mixed up in my mind so they're coming out as one.
I - Comparisons are Inevitable
I swore that I wouldn't be "one of those" people who compare their kids, especially not out loud in front of the kids, but here I am. I find myself staring down the close of Kate's 8th week and haven't had more than 5 consecutive hours of sleep for months (including pregnancy non-sleeping). I keep telling myself that Kate is very definitely her own little person and it shows up in lots of little ways - like not sleeping. Here comes the comparison: Isaac slept 8 blessed hours at about 6 weeks old. I find myself comparing and trying to reconcile my brain to whatever is "normal," and have decided that they both are - just different normal for different kids. I will try and remember this at 2:30 in the morning when I am rolling out of bed to feed Kate.
II - Big Brother
No, this is not a post about government involvement in our lives or the silly "reality" TV show. I am proud of my little boy! I think I had it in my mind that there was going to be some huge transition for him once Kate came along. He has had his share of it, but he had done pretty well. I can always count on him being the one to find her pas-a- FIRE (pacifier). He loves to give her hugs and kisses (which I find myself trying to "protect" her from). Last night during FHE we were talking about things we are thankful for and Steve asked Isaac if he liked Mommy. His reply was, "Yes, I like Kate." Enough said. I love the picture of Kate in the layout I included at the beginning of this post because she is smiling at Isaac. You can see his little hand leaning on her blanket as he peers down at her.
Kate loves Isaac, too. Yesterday I came out from the bedroom to find Isaac standing over her. I ran to her "aid" only to find her smiling and almost trying to laugh at him. Awww, CUTE!!! It makes me just melt inside to see the beginnings of this little big brother/sister relationship.
III - Randomocity (a title stolen from the Finlinson's blog)
It is almost February and the RSV season is keeping us pretty close to home except for a few brave trips out a week. What better time for... potty training. Isaac must have decided so, because yesterday and today he has showed a renewed interest in his Elmo potty and even told me he wanted to use the potty first thing this morning (and yes he did it and his diaper was even quite dry). I am not sure if I really feel up to it, but I guess it is as good of a time as ever. I'll just take my cues from him.
We got to sit down and meet with our new bishop on Sunday. No callings, just chatted and filled out the form for Kate to be blessed this Sunday. He seems like a pretty cool guy, but not your "normal" fits the mold type bishop. He was telling us his musical background and told us all about his experiences playing at a piano bar in Seattle (which he said he maybe shouldn't be telling us... ha ha).
With the topic of normalcy, I will end this forever long post and try and resume my quest for finding our new "normal" with a routine hopefully somewhere in the near future.
2 comments:
What precious photos! So cute! I always wanted a big brother. Having someone to entertain Kate will be really handy when she's bigger. Sometimes I wish I had someone to keep Makua occupied.
i loved the long post! i too love seeing the whole big brother relationship go on. i keep telling brian that they will be friends like this forever, and he says they won't. . .but i really hope they do.
cute pictures too. i can't believe she's eight weeks old!
Post a Comment