Monday, October 27, 2008

Victory of Sorts


A couple of weeks ago Steve and I decided to test the potty training waters. We were seeing a lot of readiness signs in Isaac and figure it would be a shame to miss this "opportunity" if he is ready. I really have had misgivings about it because of the timing and all, but thought we really didn't have much to lose. Over UEA we gave it a "go" for 2 1/2 days without much real success or signs of things clicking and he was starting to fight us on sitting on the potty. Not wanting to fight Isaac on this issue, we put away the potty and underwear and haven't done anything more. I took this picture of Isaac's toy mickey facedown in his unused potty- pretty much described how I felt.

The last 5 days or so he has been asking to use the potty and wear his mickey underwear but we haven't been really sure what to do. Today I figured I would let him just sit on his potty seat on the big toilet and lo and behold... success. A little while later he asked to use it again and success. I wouldn't say we are potty training, but we are definitely making progress. I think my tactic right now is just to let him sit there when he asks then put a diaper back on since my physical ability to do much scrubbing of floors and such is limited and see where it all leads. I'm not going to push it, just let him kindof take the lead. I am pleased to see some light at the end of the diaper tunnel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great that he's asking to use the potty. Most kids are afraid of the "big potty."

Jeff and Michelle and Aliyah said...

Yea! That may be a small step for you, but one giant leap for Isaac! He will be in those big boy pants before you know it! Good luck with things!

Merinda Reeder said...

You are several steps ahead of us.
Our one small victory is that Lizzy prefers to sit on her "Go! Diego Go!" seat on the big potty, not on the short bucket. We've only had "results" once; but she'll sit on it to get a sticker. We're not consistent at all, though.