Isaac loves animals. Since our trip to the zoo he especially loves elephants and monkeys. At the library this week, he picked out a monkey book and an elephant book. The monkey book is great. The elephant one... well, not so much. It is called "Whispers, the story of a Baby Elephant." Sounds harmless, huh? Yup, that's what I thought.
We went home, had lunch, got settled in on the couch for story time and started reading this, um, story. The baby elephant (with real photos, I might add) is born one sunny day on the savannah. Then the "takers" come - poachers- with their guns and shoot his mommy (again, real photos) so he runs away and finds another herd. Then the "takers" come again and start a fire to scare the elephants (again, real pictures) and they get trapped by the river where his new friend gets shot. In the end Whispers ends up making some sad sound that stops the "takers" from poaching anymore, but I really didn't tune into the ending because I was so alarmed at the rest of the book. I'm sure this book has its place in education somewhere, but definitely not for my little Isaac right now.
3 comments:
Sounds like the elephant version of Happy Feet!
you really never know what you're going to get in a library book. who writes these books anyway? crazy.
!!??!!
That does not sound like a book for little kids. Did you read the whole book to him? I think I would have stopped. Some people have weird ideas as to what is appropriate and what's not.
Post a Comment