Sunday, July 7, 2013

Summer Vacation 2013

We're officially back from our 2300 mile California family vacation that included Disneyland, Universal Studios, the beach, SeaWorld, and time with our McCann cousins in Sacramento.  Every trip has it's ups and downs, but I am really pleased with this vacation.  It was a lot of fun, and a lot of good time together that I hope will create some good memories for the kids.
We drove to California all in one day, so we left at 4:30 am and drove and drove.  The kids were awesome, so we went to Knott's Berry farm for dinner.   The next day we did Disneyland and tried out the new Cars-land rides.  I think the Cars racers was my favorite ride this time around.  We met up with Steve's parents for the day and had a good time with them.
Universal Studios was fun, but not a favorite.  Maybe another time, when it's not so hot and the kids are old enough to enjoy it.
The kids absolutely loved the beach.  Isaac dug holes and hunted for seashells.  Kate played in the sand and waves, and had some little imaginary something she was playing from the little dance and talking to herself that I could see.  Andrew grabbed handfuls of sand and then threw them at the waves, then ran from the waves.  He was so funny to watch!  He did this the entire time we were there.

Seaworld was fun!  I love the different shows and the opportunity to see things we don't see here in Utah.  The kids liked the shows and the penguin and shark exhibits.  It was so so hot, though.  Poor Andrew chugged so much water when we got back in the car that he threw it all up on the way home.
The highlight of Disneyland for Kate was being able to go to Pixie hollow and meet Tinkerbell.  She even gave her a penny which Tinkerbell said she could wish on.  She wished for a flower, so Tinkerbell gave her a flower.  She was so cute about it!  She also loved the parades with the princesses and meeting them.
Isaac really loved the Small World and Toy Story mania rides.  He was brave and tried Indiana Jones, even though he didn't love it.
Andrew's favorite ride was actually the big blue bus that we rode from the parking lot every day at Disneyland.  A second favorite for him was probably Dumbo.
We had a great time in Sacramento with my McCann cousins.  I am amazed and gratified by the strong family bonds that I have with my extended family.
The only thing that was a bummer was a 4 hour detour through and around the Sierra's in California because of a mudslide that closed I-80.  Thank heavens for lots of snacks and DVD players.  Steve has decided that I-395 is not his favorite place to be :)

No comments: