Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Um... Just a little behind

Sorry for the lack of postage (no, not that kind). I have been trying to reclaim messes that have bothered me all summer but I figured it would do no good until we had dirt where it was going to stay and grass seed planted.

Yes, that means we've seeded and are waiting for the grass to grow. No picture of this one because the photos of Steve out there at night with his flashlight just wouldn't have turned out well. But that is the truth... Steve checks on the grass every moment he gets. Fortunately it is growing and there is a feeling of relief as we see a green "fuzz" covering the sunniest parts of the yard. When we have more that is visible with our camera lens (meaning just your basic point and shoot camera) I'll get a current picture of the yard. The one below is of the retaining wall we put in around our front bed.

Isaac had his first soccer game last evening. He was so excited!! I think there were some unrealistic expectations about just how many goals he was going to score and such, because he got a bit frustrated and cried that he hadn't scored a goal.

My expectation was that he really wouldn't get to touch the ball because they lump 4-6 year olds together on one team. He actually did pretty well getting in there and kicking the ball. For the first half of the game he was trying to hit all the kids who would steal the ball from him. All the kids were falling down, but poor Isaac our little tender hearted kid (in some instances) got plowed over. At one point he got tripped as he went for the ball and flew over the ball only to have it end up on or near his chest and all the kids were kicking him while trying to get the ball. I guess we just need to help him jump up and out of the way faster. Even with the little bit of a beating he took I was impressed that he kept getting back in there, even if he was crying, and kept at it. Although he has a tender heart in some cases, he is very much a competitor so we'll see what part wins out in him.

This first soccer experience (as parents) for Steve and I proved to be interesting. I think our neighbors found us amusing to watch since we are such novices at this whole thing.

2 comments:

shannyn said...

go isaac!! that soccer story is so cute and funny. good luck with the rest of the season.

Sarah said...

what a cute little soccer player you have! we haven't gotten into the soccer world yet. sounds like some fun ahead for us.