Wednesday, March 25, 2009

An overwhelming fear of... fowl

It seems like things from my past have been coming back to haunt me lately. First Ariel, and now the birds. I was at my parents' yesterday and we drove to the park to feed the ducks. It was all innocent enough. Isaac was feeding the ducks and seagulls. The birds were eating the bread. My Mom and I were enjoying ourselves, even though it was pretty cold. I urged Isaac to move further down the sidewalk to feed a different group of ducks that included some big geese. The geese were really big. Bigger than the rooster that attacked me while I was tracting on my mission.
That is really the issue. I don't like aggressive birds that are bigger than, say, a parakeet.
While tracting in Howell, MI my comp (Sis. Hunter) and I happened upon a "flock" (it must be late 'cause I don't even know if that is the right word or not) of chickens. We walked through the middle of them and knocked on the door. No answer. But the chickens had followed us down the driveway and a large rooster was crowing and getting all excited about something. As we walked back down the driveway, the rooster was advancing so I started backing up and then it started pecking at my legs and jumping and squawking and trying to scratch my legs with it's feet. I was kicking and trying to get away but it wasn't working. I reached for my bag and pulled out an extra copy of the Book of Mormon and hit it as hard as I could. My plan worked. (At least for a minute then it attacked Sis. Hunter). I was left with bloody shins and a ruined pair of nylons as a souvenir of my encounter.
Maybe this explains the lump of fear that started rising in my throat as these big geese started advancing toward me intent, I was sure, on pecking the living daylights out of my shins. Or maybe they just wanted the bread.

On a very unrelated note, we listed our condo. Click here to see the details. We had someone come and look today.

5 comments:

Marja said...

So this is funny. I just clicked on the link to see your condo and the picture of the couple on the left (I'm assuming they're your realtors?) looked familiar. Turns out they're in our ward. How funny! The place looks great though! Very exciting!!

Suzanne said...

That would freak me out too and geese can be pretty agressive. I'm always careful around them and I've never had shins bloodied by a rooster. YIKES!

Merinda Reeder said...

Ah yes, now I remember why we had a flying crowing stuffed chicken hanging around the apartment. :)

Anonymous said...

You hear stories about attack dogs, but never attack chickens. Birds are scary. Although my fear is bird poo. Blech.

Adrienne said...

By the way, there is a mistake on your listing - it says "Shadowbrook" - which I'm assuming is a mix-up between Shadowridge and Stonebrook :)

And if you want to move to Lehi, that first listing looks really nice!