Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring "Break"

This week was spring break for the district so we had a __(insert adjective here)_____ week.  It was: fun because we were able to do some shopping and planning for the yard; expensive because we have really begun in earnest the process of landscaping our yard;  tiring because of the yard; wild because of our fun trip to the zoo; crazy because Miss Muffet has been sick and cranky; a wonderful break.
My zoo at the zoo.  (Sorry for the blurry pic.)

Kate loves birds!

We love the train at the zoo!  Even if it was noisy
 These pictures are a bit out of order, so you see the end of our week first.  We figured that with all of the yard stuff and shopping we ought to take the kids to the zoo.  Isaac kept wanting to see where they kept the dogs (so we told him the wolf was a dog).  Kate gets so excited for anything furry that moves.   She makes the funniest growling noise!
Steve the bobcat guy was at it all day, you can ask our neighbors.


The captain Moroni approach to landscaping and home defense.
How to Eat an Elephant:  We brought in a bunch of fill dirt  from a neighboring lot that is under construction because we figure we will need about 20 loads of dirt to get it sloped the way we want.  We are going to spread this out and get it level and as "de-rockified" as possible.  (Not totally possible because the soil is just too rocky.)  Steve rented a bobcat to take down these piles and spread them around.  We totally underestimated how touch and tricky these things are to operate, so it took the morning until he felt comfortable-ish with how to make it work.  He was at it all day and the next morning, but he got it done.  Now we are starting the never ending process of removing the rock and getting it smoothed before we bring in some good topsoil.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Landscaping is the one reason I never want to own a new home again. So much work! But you're younger than I am and you're going about it the right way. All the prep work is so important to how your yard will look and maintain. Don't skimp on the top soil and you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor. Just like you're enjoying those cute kiddos. Miss you!

hoffblog said...

Man alive--you guys have been busy! I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of Isaac on the train. That picture says it all. And Holy Cow, that's a lot of dirt! In my mind I had imagined how helpful it would be to have Bobcat. Good idea. It probably would have taken until Summer 2011 to get it all in place. I bet the job seems more 'do-able' now. I still think it's funny how much Kate likes birds and anything furry--she's a girl after my own heart. Also, I thought it was hilarious that you told Isaac that the wolf was a dog. What a week. Did Steve have yearnings to work at 'This is the Place' State Park while you were visiting the zoo? I got a good chuckle from your whole account. Go Reynolds, go!

Poulsen People said...

YAY! Happy zoo! Happy yard-ness! Happy kids!

Let us know if you need help picking rocks.

:)