Saturday, June 6, 2009

In lieu of a post about moving...

I thought I would share one of my more embarrassing moments. I was reminded of it while watching Isaac and his cousin, Claire, swimming and playing in the water here at my parent's house.
Isaac is very definitely my boy. We are both not adventuresome when it comes to swimming. We are both happy if we can avoid getting our faces wet.
On to the story. During my first semester at Utah State I took a swimming class, beginning swimming. I took a beginner class just because I am not a skilled swimmer and wanted to be in something I'd be comfortable in. The first day of class it turned out that there were 9 people in the class, of which 5 of them had taught swimming lessons or lifeguarded. The average skill of the class was definitely above mine.
One particularly unswimming-like day, I made my way to class only to discover that we were working on diving. (groan...) I managed to put off my turn until all but a few people were in the pool. I managed to pull off an impressive skin slapping, water splashing, belly-flopping type of dive. I managed to surface and swam to the side where two guys from the class were waiting to congratulate me. I was going to say something to them, but then one of them indicated that I had "something coming out of" my nose so that ended that.
I made my way to the dressing rooms. Quickly showered, skipped putting in my contacts or glasses and left. I found a door and left, or so I thought. I found myself in an enclosed terrarium of sorts and the door locked behind me. I realized where I was, and what a mistake it was not to wear anything to help me see, and banged on the door until someone rescued me.
So there you go.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

That's pretty good Emily! ;)

Jeff and Michelle and Aliyah said...

ha ha! That is pretty funny! Thanks for sharing that! Happy swimming this summer!) I know it's pretty crazy for you this summer, but it would be fun to see you sometime!

Adam and Debbie said...

If only you could see, you'd have seen how pretty that terrarium was. I remember it. Funny story.